Thursday, June 27, 2013

Salt & Straw

Oh Salt & Straw...words cannot express how much I love thee. Oops, I didn't realize you were here. How embarrassing! But hey, if you have ever tried the delicious gourmet ice cream found at Salt & Straw, you would be able to understand my love affair for this innovative ice cream parlor. First of all, I should note that this place has been featured on Unique Sweets, so that's already a +1. After seeing pictures of their creamy concoctions, I knew I had to stop here when I was in Portland. Unfortunately, it seemed time wouldn't permit me to try Salt & Straw, but then all of a sudden while we were driving down Alberta, my friend was like, "What's that long line for?!" and I was like "OH MY GOD. IT'S SALT & STRAW." I guess God just wanted me to try this amazing ice cream.

We jumped in our car and stood in line with the other dozens of ice cream enthusiasts. I would say it took us about 30 minutes to get to the front of the line, which is probably the longest I have ever waited to eat ice cream. But it was amazing. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that many quality photos because of the dark dusk lighting, but trust me, this little ice cream shop was adorable. Unlimited samples to try any flavor, just be aware of all the people waiting behind you.

I ended up getting the Strawberry Honey Balsamic with Black Pepper which was surprisingly amazing. It is well known that strawberry and balsamic vinegar go together like PB&J, but the black pepper just threw me through a loop. It was not overpowering, but you could definitely taste how it contributed to the overall flavor. Very nice. My friend got the Black Currant Sorbet, and my other friend got the Pear and Bleu Cheese. Everything was so creamy and delicious, it was definitely worth the wait. All of their ice cream is made fresh and is homemade, what more can you ask for. Also, where else can you say you tried black pepper in an ice cream?

Strawberry Honey Balsamic with Black Pepper
(kids size)