Friday, May 24, 2013

Bún bò Huế Restaurant

Hey guys! So today we roadtripped it up to Portland from Eugene which took about two hours. There was some drama this morning. I LOST MY CAMERA BATTERY. The frustrating part was that I was holding it in my hands and then I got distracted (by lord knows what) and then when I remembered about my battery, it was gone. It's somewhere in my friend's apartment, but I ended up giving up because we needed to get on the road. We stopped by a Best Buy in nearby Springfield and I picked up a new (generic) battery! It cost about $54 (ouch!) and I got a little leash for my lens cap too which was about $7. I was so flustered, I almost had a panic attack due to all of the events that took place prior.

Anyway, after spending sometime at the local mall (Clackamas) we went to a small restaurant that has been getting rave reviews from the locals in the area. This Vietnamese restaurant is known as Bún bò Huế. Bún bò Huế is a Vietnamese soup that contains vermicelli noodles and is known for it's harmonious balance between spicy, salty, sweet, and sour flavors. 

Upon seeing this sketchy little restaurant on the corner of SE 82nd, I was honestly a little skeptical about the food. "Will I get diarrhea from this?" was my initial concern. My friends and I decided to go with the Bún bò Huế, for obvious reasons. 

Between the three of us, we were given three lime wedges, basil, bean sprouts, cabbage, and a heaping serving of a mysterious red tasteless veggie.

 Each bowl was adorned with cilantro and other spices along with thin flank steak, pig feet, this pork bologna, and congealed pig blood. I didn't eat the pig blood, but everything else was amazingly tasty. This was my first experience with Bún bò Huế, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It was also extremely affordable and the service was very friendly.
Bún bò Hue [$7.50]
Bún bò Huế [$7.50]
with vegetables added
The ingredients were pretty fresh, the only downside was that the basil looked a little sadder than what I am used to. I would definitely recommend this if you are craving a hot bowl of some tasty Vietnamese soup on a rainy Oregon afternoon.