Saturday, June 1, 2013

Newman's Fish Co.

Here's another throwback from when I was on my food journey at the end of my spring 2012 semester at the UO. One place that I knew I had to try because of it's rave reviews was Newman's Fish Co., the local spot to get supposedly the best fish n' chips. There are two locations, so I can only speak on behalf of the one located on Willamette.

Now, I just have to get this off my chest. I don't really like fried foods. I mean, I'll take a bite out of it... but then I feel so oily and yucky. That being said, I fairly enjoyed the fish n' chips from Newman's, much more than the other fish n' chips option at the Saturday Market...not sure which restaurant that is. It wasn't as oily, and the fish tasted fresher.

Prawn Roll [$5.50]
Prawn Roll (inside) [$7.75]
Salmon Fish n' Chips [$7.75]
The prawn roll had a little too much mayo than I would have preferred, but it was still decent. The fish n' chips definitely out shined the prawn roll...but I am not sure if it was worth $7.75.  Food is competitively priced in Eugene, so this was a bit spendy for what you get. For fish n' chips lovers, this may be worth it, but for me...not so much. On the bright side, I did try their clam chowder (no image because the quality was really bad) and it was pretty good. Nothing was outstandingly memorable. The most memorable aspect of this restaurant is the glass case by the cash register showcasing the fresh fish that you can purchase. It really puts you in the mood to eat some fish n' chips!