Friday, May 31, 2013

Off the Waffle


One of the quirkiest places to grab breakfast in all of Eugene has to be Off the Waffle, a waffle joint that serves only liege waffles. No syrup required! These waffles are thick and soft on the inside. So the age old question is, "is Off the Waffle all hype?"

I have ventured to this establishment twice and they are doing VERY well. So well, that they just opened another location in downtown Eugene! Whenever I have gone to the original location, there is always a ton of people squeezed into the small eating area and even the outside area. Table hunting is not on my list of things I want to spend my morning doing, but if the waffles are delicious...it is well worth it.

The first thing you will want to try upon going to Off the Waffle is there freshly squeezed orange juice. We were watching the girl in the kitchen tirelessly shove orange through the juicer, her hands must have been ridiculously itchy.
Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice [$2.50]
The following waffles were shared among my friends and family, so I got to try a little bit of everything! I have to say, I prefer their sweet options over their savory...but that's just my personal preference.
The Beloved Bully [$6.25]
(Belgian chocolate chips, strawberries)
The Sweet Funk Machine [$6.00]
(pear, gorgonzola, cinnamon, local wildflower honey)
The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy [$7.00]
(sunny-side up egg, bacon, real maple syrup)

The Fruit Party [$6.75]
(strawberry, pear, banana, and whipped cream) 
The Fruit Party [$6.75]
(strawberry, pear, banana, yogurt)
Cyclops the Greek [$8.25]
(kalamata olives, tomato, caramelized red onion, feta, egg, spinach,
homemade tzatziki sauce, olive oil, smoked paprika)
The Giuseppe [$6.00]
(Nancy's yogurt, banana, walnuts, coconut flakes)
Out of all these waffles, my favorite was by far the Beloved Bully (I know, I know, I'm boring). I think the fact that the flavors in the Beloved Bully were so familiar, I could appreciate the actual flavor and texture of the waffle itself.

Now would I recommend this place? Yeah, I guess. As you can tell I am not SUPER excited, but it is a fun place to visit with out-of-town guests. This place embodies the vibe of Eugene for an affordable price. The waffles are small, so small that many people argue that the portion is way too small for what you pay. I am someone that can accept paying higher prices for higher quality, so this doesn't bother me THAT much. I am a small eater, so a waffle any bigger would have been too much for me anyway.  A part of me does feel that this place is a little overrated, only because their waffles aren't over-the-top memorable and delicious. However, I do feel like you should try this place at least once if you are in Eugene, just to say you went...but if the there is no seating and the line is really long, there are other options in Eugene much better than Off the Waffle.